Robin Banerjee's Sociogram
note that these pages are under development.
Download my Excel spreadsheet for recording sociometric nominations here. This is a
read-only file allowing you to record up to three Most-Like (ML) and up
to three Least-Like (LL) nominations for a group of 36 pupils.
You will need to save each dataset as a separate Excel file.
- Enter school, class, date, pupil codes, and names in the Info tab.
- Enter up to three Most-Like (ML) nominations and up to three
Least-Like (LL) nominations in the Data
- Please note that pupils will occasionally nominate
another pupil more than once for the same question (e.g., pupil 23
might nominate pupil 1 twice for ML). In these cases, just enter the
nomination once in the spreadsheet; please do not enter repeated
- View a matrix of choices, and counts of ML and LL nominations for
each pupil, in the Matrix
tab. These counts will reflect the levels of peer acceptance and
rejection for each pupil in the group.
- View a simplified layout of all pupil codes and nominations for
copying and pasting into the Socio File Creator (see below) in the Text tab.
Download my Socio File Creator tools for
creating socio.dot files, which will be needed for viewing sociograms.
- Copy all pupil codes and nominations from the Text tab of the
(see above). Include a row of data for every pupil on the class/group
list, whether or not they made nominations themselves. However,
do not include any rows that are completely blank (i.e., where there is
no pupil code at all).
- Open the correct Socio File Creator.
- Click on the button at the top of the window to paste all
nominations into the Socio File Creator.
- Then click on the button at the bottom of the window to create
the "socio.dot" file.
- Click on OK to quit the Socio File Creator when the file has been
created. You will find the "socio.dot" file in the folder that contains
the Socio File Creator application.
- The "socio.dot" file should not be modified. If you
an error in the Excel spreadsheet, simply correct the error and go
through these steps again.
that sociometric data can be pasted in from another application or
typed in directly. Please observe the following requirements:
- one row of data for each pupil on the class/group list
- the first number in each row is the code number of the pupil
making the nominations
- the second, third, and fourth numbers in each row are the three
- (if desired) the fifth, sixth, and seventh numbers in each row
are the three LL nominations
- use spaces to separate the numbers in each row
- use a dot . to show any
What is a sociogram?
Administering a sociometric survey
Recording and formatting sociometric data
sociogram (Next Page)
Interpreting a sociogram
Go to Robin